It might be better to ask what can’t go wrong! The most common issues that arise on the purchase of a property would be:
- The engineer having a problem with the structure of the property
- Title issues (anything from an unknown person having a right of residence to lost deeds)
- Planning problems, particularly in “one off” houses in the countryside.
- The vendor just deciding not to sell
- Negative equity meaning the vendor does not have sufficient means to clear their old mortgage without negotiating with the bank.
- Management companies struck off (for apartments mainly)